The Tig Archives 07 / 28 / 2015
While not a vegan, my love of a plant-based, grain laden diet trumps any regimen when it comes to feeling good, (and, yes, sad but true, for my burger loving pals) it trumps looking good as well. Sure, a vegan diet will keep you lean – just ask Carrie Underwood post pregnancy, or friend of The Tig, Ella Woodward of Deliciously Ella, but (and more importantly) it also makes you feel absolutely sensational, and gives a helping hand to this beautiful earth of ours. Chef Chloe Coscarelli is our US iteration of a vegan chef who really gets what it means to be both relevant and engaging, while at the same time dishing up bites that are as healthful as a shot of wheat grass, by way of sautés and veggie burgers, rolled cacao bites, and the like. You can try her culinary delights at the newly opened West Village gem, by CHLOE, where you will find us lining up for the 100% plant based pastas, salads, and (yes, please, and thank you), vegan ice creams. She is one of our very favorites, and we hope she is now on your radar. You’re welcome, Tig team. Add her to your browser.
- What’s the staff meal your kitchen gets most excited about?
Veggie burger patties.
- What is the one knife you can’t live without?
Does a mini-offset spatula count? That’s my favorite tool for detailed maneuvering from cupcake frosting to avocado toast.
- What’s your naughty food indulgence?
Cookie dough. Vegan, of course. Sometimes I’ll make a whole batch that never sees the oven.
- What’s your mini bar go to?
Sparkling water. I drink it everyday while I cook. It cleanses the palette and refreshes me.
- If you could stage at any restaurant in your city, where would it be and why?
Beyond Sushi. I love making sushi but I’m an amateur. I’d love to learn to to roll like a pro.
- After a long day at work you go home and…?
Sit on top of my heater or take a hot shower. I’m in freezers and walk-in refrigerators all day– after hours is when I get to thaw!
- If you weren’t working in a kitchen, what would you be doing?
In a dream world? I’d be a female MMA fighter champion!
- Drink of choice?
Homemade almond milk.
- One cookbook you can’t live without/most referenced?
My mom made me a binder of all her best recipes – I probably reference it once a day.
- What’s the most overrated ingredient?
- Describe your cooking in one word: