Don’t get me started on açai bowls; I am so deeply in love with them – thick and creamy açai berries blended and topped with fresh fruit, coconut, a drizzle of honey, some granola, and a sprinkle of bee pollen (allergy sufferers – take note, local bee pollen will make this season much easier for you!). My darling Sarah Rafferty will tell you how I show up at her house for girl talk with açai bowls in hand from our favorite local LA spot, Liquid. But filming Suits nine months out of the year in Toronto, we needed a plan B. Which is why I started making them myself (picture me patting myself on the back as I type this). Here’s the thing – it’s incredibly easy to make, and packed with so many antioxidants and nutrients, it could easily be nicknamed the Beauty Bowl. You’ll have energy, you’ll be channeling the wisdom of those who discovered the healing properties of açai many moons ago, and moreover, you’ll start your day with a very Instagram-worthy breakfast pic. (#priorities)
Below is a video of me with my new foodie friend, Athena Calderone, making one a few weeks ago in Brooklyn. And to sweeten the deal, here’s a recipe for your soon to be very happy belly. Cheers!
- In blender add acai, banana, and berries.
- Sparingly add half of the almond milk as you start to blend.
- Continue by slowly adding the remainder of the almond milk. This should be thick. Not using all of the milk is perfectly fine.
- Place mixture in a serving bowl. Add toppings of choice.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
Helpful Hint: *Place your serving bowl in freezer to keep your acai mixture nice and thick.*